Badminton England is starting consultation with the badminton community on a number of proposed strategy revisions with the aim of relaunching the strategy later in 2022. The revised strategy will form the basis of the organisation’s and sport’s plan for the next 10 years. This strategy and plan will be built by Badminton England and the badminton community and aims to return English and Great British badminton to the place it deserves.
At last month’s YONEX All England Championships, members were given the opportunity to discuss the strategy with Badminton England staff. We are now inviting everyone with a view to contribute to the next phase of the consultation.
Badminton England released its current strategy, ‘Discover Badminton’ in 2017, aimed at driving the direction of the game through to 2025.
With the backdrop of a global pandemic affecting all parts of the game, and new 10-year strategies released by Sport England and UK Sport, the Board of Directors commissioned a strategy review in 2021 to ensure that the strategy was fit for purpose. This was conducted by Chief Operating Officer Giles Dunning, with representation from members of the badminton community, the staff of Badminton England and the Board of Directors.
The objective of the review was to ensure that we could still be successful as a game, while delivering on the requirements of making sport and physical activity accessible to all, providing opportunities for everyone to succeed, and having greater community and social impact.
The key findings of that review were that:
- The strategy and objectives are overall fit for purpose
- The importance of the badminton ‘system’ is under-represented; badminton has become a sum of loosely connected parts and greater co-ordination is required
- The role of the National Governing Body needs strengthening to reflect the impact that it needs to have on the whole of the game
The strategy revisions that we are proposing aim to:
- Ensure that we have a strategy that drives what we do and delivers success at all levels
- Mobilise the whole badminton community to play their part in growing the game and delivering future champions
- Ensure that Badminton England can deliver the objectives of its funding partners.
The first consultation will take place online, and anyone interested in taking part can pre-book via the links below: